Mosquitoes are one of the main reason that most of the people fall ill in summers and springs. They are pesky and they create chaos during their hunting seasons. The kids and old people are most of the victims of the disease and this creates fear in us and this being the reason that to keep mosquitoes away becomes important while sleeping or resting. The diseases like West Nile Virus (WNV) West Nile virus and La Crosse Encephalitis (LAC) La Crosse encephalitis are viral diseases cause by the mosquitoes in the US.
The mosquitoes can be stopped and prevented by different chemicals and devices but those all things affect humans too. Many times we get rash when we apply them for a long time or use them frequently. The new thing that we are going to discuss today is, how some plants can be used to keep mosquitoes away. So, here is the list of the plants:
- Citronella: Regarded as one of the best herbs to keep mosquitoe away. They give citronella odor which can be used to prevent the mosquitoes also rubbing them on the skin can help you to keep them away.
- Lemon Balm: The plant that is grown by most of us in our homes is a great herb that is added in the tea to enhance its flavors. Take it and crush it and apply it to your skin to keep mosquitoes away.
- Catnip: The Catnip is a great mosquito repellent and deterrent. In a 2010 study, scientist found that it is 10 times more effective than DEET (ingredients commonly found in repellents) to keep mosquitoes away. Researchers report that nepetalactone gives the plant its characteristic odor which is avoided by plants. It is easy to grow and is best for cats, as they love it.
- Marigolds: The Marigolds are most commonly grown plants in the backyards and they are easily grown. They contain Pyrethrum, an ingredient found in many insect repellents, which helps to keep mosquitoes away. Also, they have a unique aroma which can repel the bugs.
- Basil: Basils are grown at a wide stretch in the States. They have an easy and quick mosquito repellent which help to keep mosquitoes away also they can be added in foods to make them tasty and healthy.
- Lavender: Lavenders are grown by most of us in the homes and gardens. Also, they have a very pleasant fragrance. But do you know they also help to keep mosquitoe away? If you want to grow it then grow it indoors near a sunny window, or outside in your garden to keep mosquitoes away also, it repels the bugs.
- Peppermint: Most bugs repel the peppermint and, the odor is prevented by most of them. The mosquitoes usually avoid the plant as it odor irritates them. Also, you can use the plant to get relief from their bite as they are medicinal too. Peppermint is usually used to keep mosquitoe away.